Java Software Engineer
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs, develops, tests and delivers software solutions using one or more commercial languages as well as, open source tools. Develops and delivers software in an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Engages with key stakeholders to ensure requirements, schedules and all expectations are understood by the development team and stakeholders for assigned software solutions and software maintenance. Keeps manager and stakeholders apprised of progress. Knows when to escalate.
- Develops and executes automated unit testing for all assigned software solutions.
- Supports infrastructure and network teams in analysis and resolution of issues that are software solution related.
- Performs all functions necessary to take software solutions from planning to implementation. Escalates appropriately, if deadlines are in danger of being missed.
- Coordinates with management to ensure identification of appropriate schedules, goals, design criteria, methodology, etc.
- Shares knowledge, lessons learned and best practices among the team.
- Supports and guides the delivery of software solutions. Provides appropriate documentation.
- Follows all defined software solution methods, processes, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned and modified at manager’s discretion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the Atlassian suite of products (Bitbucket/JIRA/CONFLUENCE etc.) or similar tools
- Expert knowledge in at least one core technology. Intermediate skill with a second technology preferred
- Stays current with technology trends in order to provide best options for solutions
- Self-directed and is able to decompose work into problem sets for self and project team
- Able to mentor technicians and administrators, teammates, and project partners for the decomposed work
- Solution-driven thought leadership for affiliated team. Self-motivated with ability to influence associates
- Ability to break down multi-week objectives into tasks. Completes 1 week tasks independently
- Completes tasks with a high standard of quality. Assumes ownership of results, both successes and failures
- Able to learn quickly from mistakes, including those of others
- Ability to build and maintain relationships across internal teams and with business stakeholders
- Ability to conduct all interactions in a calm and professional manner. Self-aware with the ability to identify personal development goals
- Ability to build and maintain relationships across internal teams
- Ability to work with minimal supervision (Weekly Check-Ins)
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, plus a variety of other word-processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail and presentation software
- Ability and willingness to travel locally, regionally and nationwide up to 10% of the time
- Spoken and written fluency in English
- This job requires use and exercise of independent judgment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Software Engineering, Software Development, Mathematics or a related field OR additional experience above the minimum will be considered in lieu of the required education on a year-for-year basis required
A minimum of 2 years’ work experience as a software engineer or similar IT role or related field required
IT certification in Java, C, Objective-C, C++, Perl & Python or similar formats preferred