Medical Assistant - Care Promoter
The Medical Assistant will perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of ChenMed physician, by scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding for insurance purposes. Other duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination and administering medications as directed by physician.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides extraordinary customer service to all internal and external customers (including patients and other ChenMed team members) at all times.
- Records patients' medical history, vital statistics and information such as test results in medical records.
- Prepares treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Interviews patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Authorizes drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments and dispose of contaminated supplies.
- Shows patients to examination rooms and prepare patients for the physician.
- Explains treatment procedures, medications, diets and physicians' instructions to patients.
Other responsibilities may include:
- Helps physicians examine and treat patients, handing the physician instruments and materials or performing such tasks as giving injections or removing sutures.
- Collects blood, tissue or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, and prepare them for testing.
- Authorized individuals will use the ChenMed Rx system to dispense patient medication(s).
- Ensures accuracy of medications provided to patients.
- Other duties as assigned and modified at manager’s discretion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Medical products, services, standards, policies and procedures.
- Skill in operating phones, personal computer, software and other IT systems.
- Skill in oral communication (English required).
- Skill in taking patients’ vital signs, and obtaining blood and other samples for laboratory work.
- Ability to communicate and work with doctors, patients and others in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and to ensure accuracy of reports and data.
Additional Job Description
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
- One (1) year of employment as a Medical Assistant (recent clinical experience).
- Graduate from a nationally accredited Medical Assistant program such as AAMA, AMT (RMA), or NCQT.
- Experience working with geriatric patients.
- EMR system experience.
- High School Diploma or GED.