ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Measures and records patient vital signs; records patient interview and medical history.
- Catalogs and communicates patient needs to the PCP, Clinician, Specialist and/or other clinical personnel.
- Prepares patients for examinations and performs routine screening tests; assists physician with exams; explains treatment procedures and physicians' instructions to patient.
- Observes patients and reports any changes in patient conditions to the PCP, Clinician, Specialist and/or other clinical personnel.
- Perform non-critical medical and therapeutic procedures based on medical instructions. Collects phlebotomy and other lab specimens; performs basic waived lab tests.
- Prepares and administers medications; changes dressings, applies bandages, removes sutures and other first aid procedures; uses CPR skills when necessary, all under physician supervision.
- Maintains supplies, equipment, stocks and sterilizes instruments; practices OSHA safety standards; performs accurate, legal, and ethical documentation at all times.
- Processes patient phone messages, returning calls and routing them to other team members as appropriate; calls patients to obtain and relay pertinent information for the physician.
- Upon physician approval and authorization, calls in prescriptions to the pharmacy. Uses communication skills with appropriate medical terminology; and follows appropriate legal and ethical professional conduct; authorized individuals will use the ChenMed Rx system to support physician medication dispensing.
- Provides health coaching to a defined group of patients to support healthy lifestyle choices. Follows up with coached patients via weekly calls.
- Performs other duties as assigned and modified at manager’s discretion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with a heart of compassion and empathy towards our patients and families
Exceptional oral and written communication skills, time management skills and organizational skills
Ability to effectively collaborate and partner with team members, including physicians and other clinicians, market leaders, center managers, nurses, case managers, front desk staff, center managers, and market leaders
Mindset focused on resolving problems for patients and achieving team goals
Knowledge of medical products, terminology, services, standards, policies and procedures
Skilled in basic phone and computer operation
Must be detail-oriented to ensure accuracy of reports and data
Ability to maintain effective and organized systems to ensure timely patient flow
Ability to act calmly in busy or stressful situations
Proficient skills in Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel plus a variety of other word-processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail and presentation software
Ability and willingness to travel locally and/or regionally up to 10% of the time to assist in covering other centers, as needed
Spoken and written fluency in English
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
High school diploma or equivalent education (GED) required
Graduation from a nationally accredited Medical Assistant program OR comparable healthcare vocational training (i.e. foreign-trained physician, paramedic, etc.) required
A minimum of 1 year of work experience as a Medical Assistant, Patient Care Technician or similar in a hospital, medical clinic or comparable environment OR documented clinical rotation training can be substituted for work experience
BLS for Healthcare Providers required
Experience working with geriatric patients is a plus
EMR system experience preferred