The Solution Architect is involved in all aspects of application design, delivery and best practices definition. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to plan, develop, implement, maintain, and enforce the comprehensive application strategy. Responsible for clearly understanding and communicating the application architecture goals and constraints. Encourages simple, pragmatic and effective solutions with a focus on quality, re-usability and maintainability. Mentor the application feature development teams and monitor code quality. Perform all aspects of software development as part of an agile development team.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Builds reference models (code) around usage patterns and frameworks for the development organization.
- Utilizes best practices for application engineering, component reuse, architecture design and technical standards, while maintaining an awareness of new/emerging technologies and their potential application to existing service offerings.
- An understanding of architectural solutions to address functional and non-functional requirements is critical, as is hands-on experience implementing technical solutions.
- As a technical thought leader, understands that the architectural vision for the enterprise transcends the scope of individual project or effort.
- Participates in active feature development as part of an agile development team. Ensures the successful delivery of solutions, training and documentation.
- Works with cross-functional teams across the development organization to ensure end-to-end technical and business viability.
- Creates solutions that answer current business needs and are scalable for future requests.
- Collaborates with the Chief and Data architects to establish a consistent and effective application development environment.
- Supports the vision and strategy of the Development organization. Assist in establishing operational application environments.
- Defines standards for newly adopted technologies, as well as, assists in the selection of those technologies.
- Proactively identifies and addresses technical strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats to build a shared understanding of the solution with the capacity for communicating that vision though technical materials, verbal presentations and facilitating inter-team discussion.
- Researches and developments on new and potentially useful technologies with an eye for the practical.
- Gathers requirements, gains business and IT alignment, performs vendor and product evaluations and mentors business and IT resources.
- Enforces engineering methodology, reviews engineering design packages and drives to minimize technical exposure and risks to solutions.
- Collaborates with both business and technical stakeholders, sets direction, builds consensus, mediates conflicts and helps to create an environment which solicits contributions from all participants. Excellent client-facing skills and executive presence are essential to the role.
- Works with business units to translate business strategy into discrete requirements compatible with current technical architectures.
- Actively searches for opportunities to improve the effectiveness of our applications and systems.
- Maintains, communicates and enforces guidelines for industry recognized best practices of all aspects of data and application development efforts.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Proven experience gathering business requirements from customers and transforming those requirements into business solutions.
- Structured thinker and effective communicator with proven skills to work effectively across internal functional areas in ambiguous situations and comfortable interacting with customers.
- Deep knowledge in various established and emerging development technologies;
- The ability to quickly engage and understand the current enterprise environments;
- The ability to grasp an accurate big-picture understanding of the needs of the business and will develop and convey a vision of appropriate and robust solution;
- Very solid and hands on understanding of various application architecture approaches; and
- The ability to reverse engineer existing application flows and suggest optimizations.
- Must have experience collaborating with vendors directly to achieve desired results.
- Experience consuming/exposing RESTful services using HTTP. Strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to gather necessary details to determine a proper solution.
- Experience working with cross functional teams. Strong application server background (JBoss, Tomcat, other). Strong Java, Maven, Spring. Test automation using Selenium, Junit and CI/CD experience, ideally using Jenkins.
- Position requires 5-10% travel time.
Additional Job Description
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS or Mathematics or equivalent experience required.
- At least ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in a directly related area during which professional capabilities have been clearly demonstrated with five or more (5+) of those years in a healthcare Information Technology environment required.